These lasers have an innovative diode-pumped SLM master oscillator, a flashlamp pumped power amplifier and use Stimulated Brillouin Scattering in a liquid for pulse compression. Thus, the lasers can provide high pulse energies of up to 500 mJ at a pulse length of only 150 ps. Harmonic generators down to 213 nm are available.
- Diode pumped Q-switched SLM master oscillator
- Flashlamp pumped power amplifier for up to 500 mJ pulse energy at 1064 nm
- Advanced SBS compression produces pulses down to 120 ps duration
- Excellent pre-pulse contrast ratio
- Thermo stabilized second, third or fourth harmonic generator options
- Low jitter external triggering
- Sync pulses output with <200 ps rms jitter
- Laser control from PC via USB or RS232 port
- Low maintenance costs
- Plasma research
- Material ablation and deposition
- Remote laser sensing
- Satellite ranging
SL230 series lasers are excellent solution for applications, where high energy picosecond pulses are needed. Not like conventional mode-locked lasers that typically uses saturable nonlinear absorption or Kerr lensing to produce ultrafast pulses, the SL230 series lasers employ backward-stimulated Brillouin scattering (SBS) in liquid for the same purpose.
Diode pumped electro-optically Q-switched single longitudinal mode (SLM) nanosecond generator is the heart of the system. It provides nanosecond optical pulse that is later compressed during SBS in a special cell.
Q-switched master oscillator allows precise external triggering with jitter of less than 0.2 ns rms while mode-locked lasers typically have jitters of at least of tens of nanoseconds or even worse. Precise sync pulses from internal delay generator are also available with less than 200 ps rms jitter with respect to optical pulse.
Pulse compression is done in SBS‑cell. The geometry of interaction is designed to produce shortest and most stable pulses with 120 ps duration.
After SBS compression, pulse is directed to multi-pass flashlamp pumped power amplifier for amplification to up to 500 mJ pulse energy. Completely diode pumped version of SL231 is available under special request.
Thermocontrolled harmonic generators, based on angle-tuned KD*P and KDP crystals and harmonic separation optics are available as standard options. Each wavelength has a separate output port.
Build in energy monitors continuously monitors output pulse energy. Data from the energy monitor can be seen on the remote keypad or on PC screen. Power supply and cooling units are mounted into standard 19” rack.
Simple and convenient laser control
Laser is controlled by PC via USB port with application for Windows™ operating system. In addition, major settings of laser can be controlled through remote control pad. The remote pad features a backlit display that is easy to read even while wearing laser safety eyewear.
|Model 1)||SL231 2)||SL234||SL235|
|at 1064 nm||20 mJ||250 mJ||500 mJ|
|at 532 nm 3)||8 mJ||125 mJ||240 mJ|
|at 355 nm 4)||5 mJ||70 mJ||140 mJ|
|at 266 nm 5)||2 mJ||40 mJ||80 mJ|
|at 213 nm 6)||please inquire|
|Pulse duration at 1064 nm (FWHM) 7)||120 ps ± 15 %||150 ps ± 15 %|
|Repetition rate||50 Hz||10 Hz||5 Hz|
|Beam profile||close to Gaussian||Top-Hat|
|Linewidth||≤ 0.2 cm-1|
|Pulse energy stability (Std.Dev.) 8)|
|at 1064 nm||2.0 %||1.5 %|
|at 532 nm||3.5 %||3.0 %|
|at 355 nm||5.0 %||4.0 %|
|at 266 nm||8.0 %||7.0 %|
1) Due to continuous improvement, all specifications are subject to change. Parameters marked typical are illustrative. They are indications of typical performance and will vary with each unit we manufacture. Unless stated otherwise all specifications are measured at 1064 nm and for basic system without options.
2) Completely diode pumped version of SL231 is available under special request.
3) For -SH option. Outputs are not simultaneous. Please inquire for pulse energies at other wavelengths.
4) For -TH option. Outputs are not simultaneous. Please inquire for pulse energies at other wavelengths.
5) For -FH option. Outputs are not simultaneous. Please inquire for pulse energies at other wavelengths.
6) For custom -FiH option. Outputs are not simultaneous. Please inquire for pulse energies at other wavelengths.
7) Inquire for optional variable pulse durations in 150 – 400 ps or 400 – 1000 ps range (does not apply for SL231). Some laser specifications with this option may differ from those without it.
8) Averaged from 300 pulses.
Variable pulse duration options -VPx and -VPCx
SL series lasers offer a unique capability for tuning pulse duration. The tuning is done by changing the geometry of interaction in the SBS compressor. Two tuning ranges – 120 – 500 ps (option -VP1) and 500 – 1000 ps (option -VP2) – are available as standard options.
While the -VPx option requires manual tuning of optical layout components for pulse duration change, the -VPCx option provides motorized tuning that allows a change in pulse duration from a personal computer (purchased separately) or laser control pad.
Note. Certain specifications may change when the laser is configured for variable pulse duration. Contact us for detailed data sheets.